Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 19, 2008

Tis the season-memories of baking..

Why oh why do we do it? I asked myself that yesterday, and the day before that, and even today...LOL..because we love those around us that is why, because it brings back our childhood? The comforts of days gone by... As I slaved over the stove making my very first batch of caramels..(which turned out great...thanks for the recipe Bec!) I reflected on my Christmas traditions over the years.

I have fond memories of Christmas baking with my mother. She truly was and is the best for doing fun stuff with us kids. I remember counting down the days of when it would be time for us to frost sugar cookies, so many colors of frosting to choose from and sprinkles everywhere..more on the floor than on the cookies themselves I am sure.
She would make glass candy..I remember her standing by the oven, vigilantly stirring and watching her concoction of goodness. Always a glass of cold water nearby to test if the candy was at the "hard ball" stage. And then at the end we would add the cinnamon oil and red food coloring. She would pour it out on a cookies sheet lined with foil and powdered sugar. And then, once cooled..(remembered by experience..you have to wait til it cools before you can touch it..ouch)we would break it up and distribute it on plates (as well as fudge, wedding cookies, and peanut brittle)...for nearby neighbors and friends. I remember how she would be busy all day long. For a moment of joy, with her girls and for those who would receive these lovely treats.

So is it tiring? Yes! And is Madison into baking..NO not at all..LOL..but I hope she will always remember coming home from school and love the smell of Christmas baking in her home. Knowing that waiting for her, is a sweet treat she can devour and she being the bearer of gifts made from her mothers kitchen.

4 comments:

Lori Villarreal said...

How sweet is that! Love Christmas time. Madi will always remember the baking cause she loves to eat it.

Tricia said...

What an adorable post!!! It brought back memories to me too. Hey can I get your address. I don't think I have it. Luv ya

Vickie said...

Glass candy is the greatest! Thanks for sharing and taking me back in time to the days of glass candy.
vickie

rich and steph said...

My mom baked too and what fun we had. I am bad and gave it up. I need my mom to move closer:)